Monday, March 10, 2008

Thing # 15 Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and Why am I so tired?

I found some useful ideas here.

Away From Icebergs was interesting.

Into a New World of Librarianship. Breaking down barriers. I don't know Vern, what barriers are in my library? There are no doors. My circulation is way up there, because we do not limit our patrons to 2 books a week. Heck, I have 2nd graders that we don't limit to 2 books an hour! Last week, in preparation for closing the library on Monday (laptop rollout) and Wednesday (TAKS) we pretty well let all students check out as many books as they could carry, without regard to age or current standing. And we survived!

Michael Stephens coins a term I could hang on someone who shall remain nameless - technolust. Going after technology because you can. In the same article he admonishes us to keep moving forward.

But the article I will talk to you about tonight is The Path to Becoming a Literate Educator (Barry is always pinging on me to technolofy!) here is a plan that seems to suggest starting with just a couple of teachers with drive and vision to move forward. They should include the librarian (That's Me!) and hopefully someone from the school or district who can help with the technobabble (Media Services, prepare to be boarded!). We will learn together. Blog (got that).

I see some good ideas for building a core of several classes with which to get technology learning kicked into high gear at my school.

Back to the district help, Yes, need that. I will need one-on-one help face-to-face.

Now, if I can just convince my principal that the TAKS is way too overrated.........

By the way, apparently I was numbering these posts wrong. This is Thing 15, and with some work, I got # 13 numbered right.

No comments: