Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing # 16 WIKIs

Before I talk a bit about WIKIs, I finially found my avatar! It is on a sample page for a school WIKI. I never got into any of the avatars that I found while doing that project. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I don't want to ever give anyone on the Internet the impression that I am anything but a grumpy, 55 year old elementary librarian. The furry creature to my right not only bears a resemblance to me, but I think it conveys my mood at least once in the last week.

Anyways, I need to get on with WIKIs. I really can't see using them with my elementary school students anytime soon, unless it were as a way to write a policies and procedures handbook for the library, and the kids were to get input.

However, I can really see WIKIs as a great way for committees, and small working groups of teachers, to create grant proposals, projects, almost anything. Instead of having to come to one spot at one time to plan, I could put out a WIKI and tell my group how to get in.

This might also be a good way to improve on the "one-person-does-all-the-work current methodology of many of our campus projects, such as the carnival.

As my campus becomes better at keyboarding, it might be fun to create a story in a WIKI.

(For some reason, every time I type WIKI, it starts as WIKE. Is this the new footwear created by a committee?)

So, off I go.

4 comments:

LKP said...

Okay, you ARE hilarious!!! I love it, a man who knows his own image! You are a HOOT!!!

Book Nook Girl said...

I love your grumpy gorilla! Where did you find him? As always, you keep us laughing!

The Man in the Middle said...

I found the gorilla in the sample school WIKI that the kickball captains put in this Thing. If you go down to the computer class, and then to Buddy Avatar, that's me!

VWB said...

and there was doubt about what you are..at least once a week?

I know wikis will become part of your school's SOP if you have anythnig to do with it!