Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing # 22 Nings

Don'get too excited folks. I am skipping Pod casting until I can find my microphone. I know I had one here somewhere.

Nings. I went into the librarian sites. I can see that if I had a specific project that I didn't know where to start, like running a dog kennel out of the library, this might be the place to start. But, I am seeing an awful lot of groaning and moaning about how bad we have it, and I've kinda run out of time for that.

And I guess that is something to learn here. I saw it on TLC years ago. I am not the dumbest librarian out there. Nor, am I the smartest. Far from it. But as I went TLC, and tonight, the librarian NINGs, I absolutely know that I have it good. No, I have it great.

My principal drives me crazy, sometimes. I'm sure I drive her crazy most of the time. I would like more communication and more of an idea as to what is about to happen in my library and in my school.

On the other hand (the one with 6 fingers), I pretty much have control over my schedule. I have heard much about fixed vs flexible schedules, and how bad fixed schedules are. I always thought I had a fixed schedule because I try to see the same classes the same time each week. Well, with testing and all the other things going on, I, not anyone else, I change my schedule constantly.

I read lots of complaints about budgets. I have found a couple of things that work. I always have ideas as to what I could do with $500 or $1000. While talking with the boss, if I sense this is a good day for her, I kinda mention something I would love to do, if I had the money. Guess what? It works sometimes.

I also have built a reputation for being able to spend $600 well in a matter of minutes, so that when the boss gets told she can have money if she spends it NOW, she tells me. Give me a school subject, and I can put together a book order in a hurry.

My library is open. Literally. All hallways in the building empty into the library. The perimeter is a series of freeways with lots of traffic, all day long. The place is noisy, and nothing is sacred. On the other hand (the one with the webbing and fur on the palm of my hand) I get to see just about every teacher and staff member each day. This makes it very convenient for them to drop in with questions or requests. This also makes my work with the children very visible.

So, with the NING, I think it has a use. My next crazy idea will be paraded out there for comments and suggestions. Like answering the question "How much is a million?" by collecting pennies. Someone has done that, I know. Or how can I make my circulation desk more efficient without killing the fun?

Or, maybe, I can share how to run a model railroad over the non-fiction section. See, I told you I have it pretty good. Sometimes, I just have to stop the tedium, and get the little Santa Fe tank engine going.

Anyways, I am not through yet, Gotta make the podcast thing fly.

No comments: