Monday, February 11, 2008

Why I am a Librarian

Last week I had an experience akin to a father teaching his daughter to ride a bike, or the first time a grandfather plays catch with his grandson.

I couldn't find the book I had intended to read to my Kindergarten classes, and the first class was on the carpet, criss-cross, indian style. In desperation I grabbed the first book I recognized, and headed for my seat.

Keep in mind that I am from a middle-class background where we five children were surrounded by books, picture books, chapter books, grownup books. (Dad's Clancy and Grisham collection is here for safe keeping, Mom says they are out of room!) We subscribed to the monthly Beginner Books in the early 60's.

So, anyways, here I am with a book I assume every 6 year old has memorized, since my 4 year old sister actually did.

Those of you who work with underpriviledged kids will understand when I tell you I actually introduced 200 children to "Green Eggs and Ham"!! They had never heard of it! What a rush!! Of course they loved it! We made it into a shared reading, I would stop and let them finish each line. When our protagonist (does he have a name??) fell into the sea, I held my nose and gargled "Sam, I Am". The place fell apart every time.

I have introduced my 4 year old granddaughter to many books, but last week, I did it for over 200 children!

This is supposed to be a post about technology, but if my Kindergarten and 1st graders have never had their parents read to them from the good Doctor Seuss, I have a bigger calling.

Did you realize there are only 50 vocabulary words in the whole book? Seuss was challenged by his editor to write such a book, on a bet, and set up a whole industry.

In the Spanish edition, Sam I Am become Juan Ramon, which does rhyme with "Juevos Verde con Jamon", the title.

I have actually eaten green eggs. It happens in the Army when scrambled eggs spend too much time in the field warming containers, known for some reason as mermite cans. I have eaten them in a box, and in a house. I'm pretty sure I've eaten them with a mouse. The mouse was present, not part of the meal.

We are trying to establish a reading culture in the library. Our 2nd graders are major players in Accelerated Reader, a program where you read a book and then take a test over it. The computer awards points based on your score. Our second graders know how many points their classroom champion has, and also track the progress of neighboring classes. Dog tags for 50 and 100 points are worn proudly like Olympic medals. Friday afternoon there was real buzz among the dozen youngsters who were testing in the library when Christian, a precoucious Kindergartener, stepped up to the computer and took his first test of the day. All crowded around to see if the lad could do it. 100%. He tested on his second book. 100%. Whispers and comments of admiration and respect. A Kindergartener!

I actually get paid to do this. Life is good.

2 comments:

VWB said...

it does make it easier to get up in the morning when you get to witness such enthusiasm...
glad you shared with those of us who must see it "virtually"...

keep 'em coming!

Grendel said...

What a wonderful testimonial to the work of librarians! You just keep on keepin' on! BTW, I have eaten those same green eggs. Am not sure about the mouse.