Monday, February 11, 2008

Thing # 7 Google and other venal sins

OK, boys and girls, I'm back. Bless me Father for I have sinned. It's been a month since my last posting. After getting set upon by two colleagues at today's library meeting over being AWOL, I am back.

But now I remember why I was gone. Google. My assignment is to play in Google.

So I tried to do Google notebook. A friend said I would like the features. I suppose I will when I can find the instruction book. Google has spent so much time shoving the toolbar at me, they forgot to tell me what to do or how to do it once I get into the notebook.

Now, I have looked at Google Maps, I go there all the time. I like to look at airfields and harbors on satelite, realizing that the images are about two years old, based on progress on the Katy Freeway.

I plan to use Google Maps and the satelite feature with my classes. I will start with the image of the US, zoom in on Texas, then to Houston, and finally to our school neighborhood. I dont' think many of my kids understand how their neighborhood fits into the Very Big picture.

So now that I have vented my frustration over Notebook, I am going back in. Someone cover me. Make sure the rope around my waist doesn't get tangled around my neck!

4 comments:

VWB said...

I love the idea of the neighborhood study! please let us know how it goes...what book will you be doing with it?

and I've got part of the rope... Hang in there!

The Man in the Middle said...

not sure. May just use Me on a Map.

Probably just run up the projector and show them how to play.

Terry said...

Thank you for the chuckle. They do push that toolbar, constantly, through EVERYTHING. Google maps has a lot of usable in the classroom stuff!

Jodi Pendarvis said...

Hehe..I've spent mucho time on Google Earth myself. It fascinates me to be able to "put the pieces together"...to see the directional relationship of one place in my life to other places. I think it can really help kids with visualizing later on, too. And you're so right about how it can show them how their neighborhood, city, state, country, continent all fits together.
I also like the idea of just letting them play. Believe it or not, sometimes the best learning happens that way. Trust me, they'll be making connections.