Monday, February 25, 2008

Thing # 11 The Library Thing

I have begun to catalog my father's books in Library Thing. My parents moved into a retirement community last summer, and I took Dad's Clancy and Grisham collection because he really didn't want to part with it, but their new place already has more books than Mom wanted.

Library thing is real easy to use, especially after using TLC, two library circulation systems, and Marc Magician. With Library Thing, all I inputted was the ISBN and the location of the books (4th room).

I think I may catalog all of Dad's books and give him access to Library Thing.

I can see several uses for this contraption, now that you ask.

1. Teachers can catalog their classroom collections, quickly and easily. Tags could include ownership (school or personal), location, genre, author.

I can also see times when I might want to establish special collections for teachers or students.

What I really need to do with it, now that I think of it, is ask my students to catalog their personal collections. This could help me determine what AR quizzes I need to order, and might go a long way to demonstrate the state of our school's reading mindset.

Not a bad little tool.

But it's still cataloging. what is the marc tag for "go to bed, Dan!"??

2 comments:

VWB said...

650a Bedtime stories
Dewey: Fiction or E

650a Bedtime
650x Songs and music
as in lullabies)
Dewey: 782.42

OR
650a Sleep
650x Deprivation
Dewey: 616.8

ask & ye shall receive! :-)

The Man in the Middle said...

Neither one of us gets out much! :-}