Friday, August 6, 2010

Thing 6: iPod and Apps in Education

Up until June I thought the iPod was strictly a toy. Then we got the Thumbtack microphones. We use a microphone app to podcast with our limited English learners, which is what most of our kids are.

During Summer School, Hector's group was tasked to research Cameroon. Then the kids paired up in the library with two kids and an iTouch. They proceeded to interview each other and recorded the information they had learned about this African Country. Took a day for Hector and I to be able to upload the voice to the mother ship (iMacbook #1) and then on to his own laptop. But soon he had a treasure trove of podcasts of kids who had never heard their own voices.

The next day, I was out, and the library was on automatic pilot. A dozen little kids are crawling around on the carpet with iTouches when who should appear but the Harris County Education lady, here to see if TFE is complying with the summer school grant, which required technology and PBL. She stooped down and asked a couple of brown eyed cuties just what they were doing with the iTouches. They told her. They showed her. They discussed Cameroon! They showed that learning was going on and that really liked what they were doing! They they went back to casing the bank for the next day's robbery, but that's another story.

I am convinced that some of the better Apps cost a few bucks. Many of the free ones are only demos, or even empty shells. You really get what you pay for.

I use the Balloonamimals (free is only one animal) to break the ice with the little onew the first time they come in. l also use it to make friends with the pre-schoolers who show up with Mommy for various reasons. After 10 minutes with the balloon animals, they will talk with me. I am no longer so scary.

I have a few Archie comic books Apps, but its really too small for me, and I haven't been able to put them on the (virtual) bookshelf yet.

And I noticed that there was some mention of Wikipedia on this thing. I use it a lot. I find it useful for a first look at many subjects, especially popular culture that is not in the World book. I mention to the kids that it is people-written, one 4th grader wanted to rewrite a major article right then and there! Danger Will Robinson!

No comments: