Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thing 3 Skype

OK, Skype has some real possibilities! Video conferencing is really here! I remember going to the 1964 New York World's Fair and Bell Telephone was showing the video phone. Yeah, but it never caught on. But now it has!

Several ideas I liked. Using Skype to link homebound kids to the classroom. Great idea, if the kids have high speed Internet. Most of ours do not. But, what a concept!

I like the idea of Skyping to the author after the class finishes the book. I guess the librarian's job is to set it up, and do a trial run, but if the author could even give us 15 minutes, WOW!

From a techno/curriculum interface standpoint, I can see conferencing with professionals around town to discuss careers, and maybe explore problems with science experiments. This may alao be easier than asking the guy to drive 30 minutes to our school. Have to try this.

I tried exploring a site this summer that facilitates schools wanting to skype with each other, but they had EVERY request ever made, including several that were years old. In June, I only want to see June projects. I sure would like to put a class in touch with a class in another country.

I think we have all the equipment we need. Now I need the gumption.

1 comment:

jlfoster said...

I know that a couple of librarians in sbisd have had great success skyping with authors. I haven't tried it - maybe that will be a goal of mine this year?!