Friday, August 6, 2010

Thing 5: Facebook and Twitter

Microblogging. Facebook. Twitter.

I now have a Facebook account. As soon as I signed up, Facebook gave me two friends who I kind of talk to at school. It was kind of scary because it really looks like Facbook wants to snoop in my email for addresses. I felt violated.

I can see that this communications media is everywhere. I know many people are there, but I'm not sure anyone is saying anything. I have enough trouble staying on task (wittness how long it is taking me to finish this 11.5 thing chore!). Ask me to do Facbook and Twitter, at work, sure. I get little enough done now.

It kind of seems to me that all of this is letting people distance themselves from others, rather than communiate. So much of this is so shallow. Hiding behind screen names and obnoxious little devices, like the clowns that would rather talk on the cell than talk to the teller or cashier in person. This is not communications, its rude and egotisitcal.

I am working real hard to get out from behind three computers and tons of papers so that I can get down to the level of a 2ns grader who barely speaks English and has yet to master his lunch number. I look him in the eyes and try to learn what he wants. If I tell him to go twitter me, I may as well put a wall around myself.

Besides, if you want me to set up all these networks and twitter everytime I think I had a thought, what do you want me to quit doing? I ask because I am already so busy in the library trying to meet student needs that I have blown off this course for over a year. My customers get to deal with me in person. I don't need to hide behind several layers of technology.

Yes, in college, Twitter may be great. I saw pictures of a vacation on Facebook that I really don't care about.

But this is not a very big prioity for me.

No comments: