Monday, June 7, 2010

11.5 Things, Thing 1

Watched a well-done video about the networked student. The kid does most of his learning independently and on the web, even to going on-line to visit with experts at UC Berkley (It doesn't say that he foils a plot against the world, performs open heart surgery using nothing but his iTouch, and develops a new species of mushrooms, but I digress). First let's talk about the video itself. I love the simple approach, using paper and drawings to make a video. I think this can work very well in elementary school with the new equipment we expect to receive. Simple and effective. Next let's discuss the work of the student. While I believe most of the applications mentioned would work best at the high school level, most of the high school students I worked with at my last school would not be interested in thinking this hard, let alone working this hard. This is probably a real good concept for the top of the GT group. Now let's talk about the librarian's role. Sure. We can do this. I don't mind spending all sorts of time helping a student explore the entire universe from the equipment in my room. I love surfing the web. I love helping one or two students explore deep questions like "is it ethical to scream Theater in a crowded fire?"


I'm going to use the video as an example of what the elementary students can do with just some paper and a flip video.

No comments: